8-12 Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact a mover and establish a moving date.
- Begin getting rid of items you don’t want to move. Have a garage sale or donate the items to charity.
- Remove items from storage areas (attic, basement, shed).
- Begin packing non-essential and out of season items.
- Make a list of everyone to contact with change of address.
- Give notice to local service providers (cleaners, day care, lawn service, health club, alarm company, etc).
- Notify schools of move, request children’s records to be sent to new school.
- Start using up stored/frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
4-7 Weeks Before You Move:
- Submit and Change of Address form with your post office.
- Notify friends and family of new address/contact information.
- Compile a medical/dental/veterinary records. Look for new providers and arrange for the records to be transferred.
- Return borrowed items collect items borrowed from others.
- Place jewelry and other valuables in a safety deposit box.
- Get rid of hazardous materials you cannot move (paints, solvents, automotive supplies, drain openers, aerosols, etc).
- Contact companies you do business with to notify them of the change (subscriptions, utilities, insurance, financial, etc).
- Gather items you’ll need during the move (clothing, medications, toiletries). Keep separate from packed items.
2-3 Weeks Before You Move:
- Pack all non-essential items. Label boxes with contents and room name of where they will go at the new location. Return library books. Pick up dry cleaning and items being repaired.
- Make travel arrangements for children/pets/live plants.
- Service your automobile so it’s ready for travel.
- Drain fluids from small engines (lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc).
- Make a meal plan for last week. Consume as many frozen/refrigerated and fresh foods as possible.
- Visit local friends and neighbors. Have a going away party!
- Gather all personal records and important documents.
1 Week Before You Move:
- Finish packing. Mark all boxes for movers.
- Confirm moving details with your mover.
- Empty freezer/refrigerator. Clean oven and other appliances.
- Cancel any remaining services (newspaper, mail, lawn care, day care, etc).
- Disconnect appliances (range, dryer, ice maker, electronics.)
- Close bank accounts. Transfer funds to new accounts. Make sure you have enough money with you for movers and travel.
- Empty safe deposit box(es). Place items in a safe place for transport with you.
- Back up computer files. Carefully pack computer/electronics.
- Pack personal items needed during the move. Keep separate.
- Walk through house with movers, clarifying any special details or packing instructions.
- Check utility meters. Record gas, water, electric readings.
- Clean emptied rooms. Check all closets and storage areas.
- Carefully review bill of load before moving truck leaves.
- Last minute inspection, walk through entire house.
- Say goodbye to neighbors. Leave contact information.
- Take valuables and important personal records with you.
- Disconnect telephone. Lock all windows and doors.
- Turn off lights. Surrender keys. Shut off furnace, air conditioner, water heater.
- Verify new address with mover. Provide contact information.