There are five trends that homeowners are looking for when purchasing a home.
1. Open: The biggest change in home design of the past quarter century is most likely the open concept kitchen. While traditionally the kitchen was hidden away and disconnected from the rest of the house, we now use kitchens as an opening to our living space. The focus on entertaining guests may be a source for this trend as open spaces maximize the ability to gather and relax with friends and family even while still preparing refreshments. It looks like this idea is here to stay and the walls will continue to come down between rooms of different function.
2. Neutral: Neutral palettes are dominating in the home and replacing the use of bright colors. White, sandy and gray tones are popular among the main features while bold colors pop up in small details, like throw pillows, lighting or back-splash. Subtle glamour is also emphasized through small decor dazzling against the neutral background.
3. Universal: Spaces are currently being designed for aging consumers; more Americans want to age in place. Universal design elements like having the master bedroom on the first floor, low drawer appliances and showers that accommodate benches or bars are growing in popularity to accommodate people who anticipate having less mobility in the future.
4. Quartz: When it comes to kitchens and bathrooms, factory-engineered quartz is taking the market by storm. While granite was the most popular counter-top material for more than a decade, it appears it is being replaced. With the same professional look and feel as granite, quartz resists cracking and chipping and is non-porous so it is easier to clean and rarely gets stains.
5. Green: Energy-efficient and water-saving appliances are now standard in new or renovated homes. Touchless faucets, smaller master bathtubs, high-efficiency light fixtures, toilets and dishwashers have become preferred options as energy and financial savings can be significant. These are not only green options, but savings that homeowners can clearly see in their bills.
Information taken from: http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2014/07/08/design-trends-homebuyers-want/
Article written by: A.J. Smith